Friday, September 11, 2015

Crossroad


I wonder where you're headed tonight on this cold September night, as you cross the threshold into a new season. Do you have shelter or is your home a cardboard box neatly folded to keep you dry from the rain. Will someone have compassion for where you've been and how you got here and pull you up to help you reach new heights. Or will the fog of indifference cloud the sky. I wonder if you will make it or become another statistic, buried on page 5 of a faded newspaper--the same newspaper you use as a blanket to keep you warm. Or will someone show kindness to give you hope. Whoever said home is where the heart is, didn't understand life on the street. For the street is heartless where you lay your head on rough cement, while others sleep on satin sheets, unaware. I wonder if a dropped coin in your cup is enough. Or what will it take until your cup runneth over.

if you look up
you can see starlight
guiding you home


Dear friends, this weekend I'm sharing a haibun, which is a combination of prose and haiku. This piece was inspired by a homeless person I see every day on the street on my way to work. I didn't take a picture of him to respect his privacy. Instead, I took pictures of a crossroad and empty chairs on cement, perhaps to signify isolation and hopefully a movement toward change. Next week, I will be doing some volunteer work to collect and bring groceries to low-income families to help them survive and stay off the street. A small act of kindness can make a world of difference.
~ ~ ~
Sharing with Poets United

25 comments:

  1. Hope the person looks up and finds light...photos in monochrome look so significant...a beautiful and heartfelt Haibun Loredana....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes life sure can be rough, a little bit of help can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad, but beautiful post.
    Bless your heart, my friend. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Un bel post con belle foto. Ciao Loredana un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very touching. You have given voice to many homeless, I am sure. Where the heart is sometimes is NOT home. Life on the street can be very rough...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely haibun Loredana ~ Very kind of you to help out and spread kindness in this world ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so hard, and sometimes I think the only think worth sharing is some time.. The street is heartless.. Really I think that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very well written, and love that picture as well... it says so much

    ReplyDelete
  9. this inspires me to try out haibuns

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very moving piece, Loredana. It is good to remember, in our comfortable lives, that millions do not have even the most basic shelter. Good for you, volunteering to provide some basic needs to those who need it. I especially love the beauty of the haiku in your haibun. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful sentiment and lesson Loredana....just a bit of kindness and compassion can change someone's life. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful poem. And on your comment--doing that kind of volunteer work is also a blessing to the volunteer. Bravo. I like that you photographed environment rather than the homeless person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a halibun with a message. It is sad when the street is your home as it can be a rough place to reside. I too like that you snapped shots of the perimeter out of respect. Good luck with the charity work it is a good way to give back a bit to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "fog of indifference" is a sad fog. Great piece.

    Thanks for visiting. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you live on the pavement there is not much further to fall is there? For then even the far off twinkling of stars is a small comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really dig this combo - the prose helps one really get into the haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fog of indifference seems to permeate the world and yet your poem reminds us that a special few still see and acknowledge

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful loredana. i enjoyed your seeing feeling through the homeless person's shoes you were sharing but for this moment. this says much about your empathetic heart and your humanity. acting with your gift of time, giving is admirable and inspirational. i was alone like this for a small period of time.. i have felt the cold both in weather and lack of human empathy. in this piece i recollected the scent of wet pavement, my urine stained pants, my tears crested on the side of my face as l lay there asking destiny to give me a chance

    good write

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sad but a very powerful post! I believe in giving back and this was just a beautiful reminder why we all must do it!
    Loved the flow of your halibun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prose, haiku and photo all represent well this troubling issue of our times. I am on a low income, but rich by comparison, and I make donations of food to the local homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful call to action you've written. Someday perhaps it will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for doing your volunteer work..if we all just did a little as we could.. so many homeless people have mental illness and we need a better way of dealing with it...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wonder if the homeless would even make the paper. They occassionally do here but it is usually around christmas and the colder season. Summer is just as hard, with heat exposure. Only a decision or two different and it could have been me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, you've touched my heart with your words and generosity. We even have homeless in the forests around us here. I would vote for any candidate that has a compassionate heart. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!