Thursday, August 8, 2013

City Streets: Part 2


After the break-up, she moved to New York City in a loft and spent her evening hours at Barnes & Nobles reading self-help books on relationships. She would get there by subway or taxi, leaving the Empire State Building behind. 


She hoped that somewhere on one of those heavily stacked shelves, there had to be the answer to finding true love and keeping it.


On a particularly hot summer day, she sipped iced coffee in the book store lounge as she flipped through yet another book. She wondered if all this reading was the right approach. Can love be intellectualized into a set of rules? Who follows the rules anyway?


The dating world seemed like a labyrinth to her. It was so easy to get lost in it, and to walk alone through it. Yet, she did not feel lonely. She took another sip and accidentally dropped her paper cup, spilling coffee all over a chapter on flirting. 


"Can I get you some napkins?," she heard someone say standing behind her in the book store. She turned around, and there he was, offering her napkins and a smile. She smiled back. And then the lights went out. It was the New York City Blackout of 2003.

Two lost souls
finding each other
by candlelight
~ ~ ~
Tonight, I'd like to share with you a haibun, which is a combination of prose and haiku. This is a contemporary haibun as it takes place in an urban setting rather than the more traditional nature haiku form. It is a fictionalized account of a real event back in August 2003 when the lights went out in New York City and the Northeast! I wrote this as a sequel to my fictional prelude poem you can find here at City Streets. I took all the photographs the past few days walking around in New York City. What fun! Enjoy!
~ ~ ~
Sharing with:

47 comments:

  1. Marvelous ... the photos you shot, the haibun. If memory serves correctly, many little ones were conceived during the 2003 blackout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so romantic! Both your photos and your haibun. I love the balcony! Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that balcony has a Romeo and Juliet romantic look, doesn't it? :)

      Delete
  3. I love the haibun form, and you ACED it here. Your pictures are just lovely. New York is such a photogenic city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos but mostly I LOVE this story. Is this your personal story??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! It's fictional but vaguely based on life experiences. The blackout was real. I was in NYC when it happened! :)

      Delete
  5. Going back to read this one again, Loredana.
    I absolutely love it.
    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lisa, thank you for reading twice! :)

      Delete
  6. Meeting in such a way would sure let romance blossom at ones bay, even in the dark could see a spark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A spark in the dark, so true
      I love that rhyme, too! :)

      Delete
  7. Great street photos ~ goes well with your creative story ~ thank, carol, xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the ride, LoreDana !!! It is such a treat to be able to visit the prestigious fifth avenue in your kind compagny...

    ReplyDelete
  9. que c est beau comme endroit,depaysant ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Audrey ... I like this word ... depaysant :)

      Delete
  10. Oh I love this story! Love can sneak up on you when you least expect it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are one very talented lady...stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww. a happy story. :)

    i like those cool windows with 'fan' metal shapes in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing the "fans" in the window. I thought they were cool, too, and loved the carving, "Fifth Ave New York" at the top as well :)

      Delete
  13. I remember that blackout very well! My boyfriend at the time was working in NYC, and it took him a few hours to get home to our apartment in Jersey, when it usually took less than a half hour. I was working in a suburb in Jersey, and was unable to take the train home. My co-worker offered me a ride. It was weird, and a bit scary with all of the traffic lights not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was in NYC, too, when the blackout happened, and it took me several hours to get home. I ended up taking a bus as none of the trains were running. Thank you for your comment, and welcome to my blog :)

      Delete
  14. Love your pictures ~ And sweet haibun, to find love so unexpectedly ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh very nicely done...cool story..and though fictional i like that it is based around real events...very cool pictures as well....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story and a lovely haibun! Thanks for sharing, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww... this has to be continued. Glad you're enjoying NYC. There are so many pics to be taken there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Laurie! Yes, there will probably be another sequel :)

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed the combination of prose and poetry. I like the story as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I've tried haibun. I do like the combination of prose and poetry, too. Thank you, Peggy :)

      Delete
  19. I'm thinking. How lovely to be independent and hanging out in those places photographed. Man or no man :) But how they met is COOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comment, Margaret, thank you :)

      Delete
  20. I love this story and the images that compliment it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the photos, the story and the haibun

    ReplyDelete
  22. ...everything here you said, wrote & took is beautiful... putting it in the idea of a haibun is perfect... loved this... smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Che voglia di ripercorrere questi luogi.
    Buon W.E.
    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoying this even more the second time around...having now read the first and third segments. A clever concept.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Je n'ai pas tout compris ...
    Mais tu me donne envie de visiter New York Loredana...

    Sortir du métro
    Entrer dans une librairie
    Gravir les escaliers
    Pour atteindre la terrasse
    Et lire là tes poèmes
    Entre ciel et terre

    Amicalement

    Pascal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Pascal. This is a love story of two people meeting in a book store. The story still continues. My readers want to know more. I will keep writing ... I love New York City. I want to visit France one day. Smiles :)

      Delete
  26. "City streets" molto interessante ottimo reportage brava Loredana.
    Complimenti
    Grazie per la gentile visita a presto
    Maurizio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Maurizio. "City Streets" e' una serie che continua. Ciao :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!