Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Winter & Spring Reflections


It's been a cold and long Winter, and it snowed again this weekend. But then the sun came out and temperatures rose to the 50's, so I enjoyed going for a walk in the New York countryside. I decided to visit a nearby farm, Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture, in Pocantico Hills, and admire the pretty scenic views. Do you see the trees reflected in the water? That gave me an idea to reflect on Winter and its beauty, and the excitement of the arrival of Spring. Snow always looks magical in the country, doesn't it?


This looks like Little House on the Prairie! What a cute home amidst tall trees I noticed on my walk. One of our dreams for me and my husband is to own a country home one day. Although I enjoy working in the city, it's nice to come home to a peaceful setting.


On my way around the farm, I noticed a golden glow as the sun was reflected on the brown trees and barns. I do feel better and more energized when the sun is out and the sky is blue. I love taking nature walks, as they are relaxing, and it's great exercise!


This whimsical wind vane on top of one of the barns caught my eye. It seemed to point me in the right direction. Could Spring be around the corner? I turned left.


And I found greenhouses! This farm has gigantic greenhouses that thrive even in the cold weather. I went for a tour inside and found all kinds of great looking vegetables being grown. What a wonderful display of greens! I had fun creating this mosaic. One of my Spring resolutions is to eat healthier, especially more fruits and vegetables.


Inside the greenhouse, I also found flowers being nurtured and grown. This is one of the things I look forward to in Spring--being able to enjoy all the colors and scents of flowers!


On my way back, I walked along a rustic stone wall, which is where the farm gets its name, Stone Barns. As I walked along this path, I decided to take yet another turn.


And I discovered another little surprise--a kitty cat peeking at me through tree logs! 


One of the things I enjoyed on my walk is the beautiful flower I saw and learned about in the greenhouse. This is a snapdragon and soon, there will be more flowers, more warmth, and more lovely nature walks. Spring is almost here, arriving on March 20th! 
~ ~ ~
This post was inspired by "Seasonal Celebrations" at http://gardenseyeview.com/, and "Lessons Learned" at http://plantpostings.blogspot.com/, where we are invited to share our thoughts on the seasons. What are your reflections on Winter and Spring?
~ ~ ~
Sharing my photos with these lovely sites also:

39 comments:

  1. How inspirational! I agree that the sunny, blue sky days with a little snow on the ground are the best. Your neighborhood is beautiful, and I feel like I was on the walk with you. It's funny--in the photo with the log, I didn't see the cat until you mentioned it, and then I had to look harder. It's a great optical illusion. Thanks for joining in the memes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! It was fun to participate. Yes, that cat is well camouflaged! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story Loredana ... I love the way you share your experiences !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loredana thanks for joining in...what a beautiful reflection of what spring will bring...the stone walls and greenhouses are gorgeous. I am starting snapdragons from seed in the basement. I adore these flowers as they bring back memories of childhood and my mom planting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how nice, Donna, that snapdragons bring back good memories. Thank you for hosting! :)

      Delete
  4. Inspirational indeed!! I long to visit the New York countryside someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New York has a country side? Who knew? lol such a great walk and well caputered too, be glad when the snow is 100% gone from view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, New York isn't just a big city, and the country side is also very pretty :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely images! It is such a pretty scene. The greenhouses are amazing! Such a neat setup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photography and lovely post for Rurality ~ Winter is beautiful but 'enough is enough' ~ enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree..it has been a long cold winter, but these are lovely photos that show winter off well.. Thank you for linking into Nature Notes this week...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos. Our snow is almost melted, but we're due for some more tonight. :(

    My parents used to have a greenhouse. Wow, it got hot in there during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful reflections on nature in your pretty walk around this lovely farm. I do love the 'Little House on the Prairie' house set among the tall trees and that little cat peering through the logs. Spring is almost here. Soon......xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely reflections from a classic farm... Thank you for joining in 'Rurality Blog Hop #6' Hope to see you next Wednesday for #7...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful photographs, Loredana, and it really does look like Little House on the Prairie!
    Thank you for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Il sole è già così bello da vedere,ma le Alpi e l'Appennino hanno tanta neve,ed è nevicato nelle vicinanze perfino questa notte. Un vento gelido consiglia di non abbandonare gli abiti invernali...anche se tra poco sarà primavera.
    La passeggiata con te è stupenda(tutti luoghi da fotografare e dipingere) e tu mi coccoli con le tue belle parole! Un abbraccio,cara Loredana e buon fine settimana. Rita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara Rita, qui e' in campagna, ma proprio vicino a me! Ci arrivo in 15 minuti con la macchina, e poi passeggio. Anche qui fa ancora freddo e nevica. Aspettiamo la primavera il 20! Un abbraccio :)

      Delete
  15. I love the bright blue of winter skies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely winter/spring walk. :) like that weathervane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Snow + blue sky make fantastic pictures!This kitty is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spring inside, winter outside : nice catch on the reflection !

    ReplyDelete
  19. A promise of spring in those blue skies!! Lovely captures and reflections for the day! And that kitty is cute indeed, fun catch!! Hope you have a lovely weekend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story and news for me! I thought New Yourk only was a big town

    Nice reflections in picture and words..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, New York City is big, but the country side is not too far from the city. There is lots of nature in New York State :)

      Delete
  21. Nice shots! I'd trade the 80's temps that we have for your 50's or even 30's any day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photography ~ wonderful reflections ~ the barn is delightful ~ enjoy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just beautiful. That first shot is simply exquisite

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful series of photos. Clean snow is gorgeous, but I must admit I've had enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed these very much! Thanks for taking us on this lovely walk with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely walk, the reflection and snow scenes are lovely. And the Greenhouse mosaic is beautiful. I am so ready for spring! Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sempre splendida la natura che mostri con le tue foto...
    Ciao Loredana ...ti abbraccio!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day Loredana!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sooo looking forward to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ah! c'est donc toi qui a enfermé le printemps dans une serre...
    Dépêche toi de lui ouvrir la porte...!!!
    Nous l'attendons avec impatience ici...sourire
    Merci d'avance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanh you very much Loredana
      Nous avons bien reçu le printemps en France
      Il est bien arrivé...il est là...
      Merci encore de lui avoir ouvert la porte...:)

      PS: la preuve en image
      http://parler-en-silence.eklablog.com/le-printemps-est-arrive-a80304586

      Delete
  31. Your reflections remind me of how much nature inspires us. Even in winter when there is very little color, the subtle curve of the bark or the magical reflection of a landscape can make us ponder. A beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!