Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Cherish the Moment


sitting on my favorite chair,
on a quiet summer evening;
pillows embroidered with half moons,
the scent of lilacs

turning another page,
a golden bookmark with my initials;
intrigued by how the story unfolds,
moment by moment

breathing in the cool air,
from the open window;
the sound of a wind chime, 
lace curtains undulating in the breeze

reaching out with anticipation,
on a wooden table next to me;
cranberries in a pearly white bowl,
i share one more with you ...
~ ~ ~

On a nature walk this weekend, I spotted a cranberry tree and took some close-up photos, which I made into a collage. Our friends at Poetry Jam challenged us to write a poem using a verb of our choice. One of my favorite verbs is "cherish," which inspired my poem. It's so important to cherish every precious moment--life is a gift. Please visit http://poetryjaam.blogspot.com/ for more inspiring poems.

26 comments:

  1. sounds like you are cherishing...with all the detail of the moment....love the anticipation as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian. Glad you liked the "anticipation" line ... :)

      Delete
  2. What beautiful thoughts here and I noticed all the senses. I think you said you wrote this on the train--hard to think you were not sitting in the midst of the scene you described. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy, for the inspiring prompt. Yes, I did write this poem on the train on my way home from work. I find it relaxing to write on the train and visualize peaceful images. :)

      Delete
  3. You have really captured them well ... good one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this. You not only 'cherished' the moments but you 'shared' with us as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  5. The pictures are lovely. But, it was even better reading about those moments you cherish.
    A lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bren. Glad you liked the photos, too. :)

      Delete
  6. So beautiful, uplifting... I especially like the last stanza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie. The last stanza was especially inspired by the cranberries ... :)

      Delete
  7. lovely poem ~ with wonderful ambiance of 'summer' ~ thanks, namaste, (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. Ah yes, the joys of summer, love this time of year! :)

      Delete
  8. this is serene...lovely!! love the crescent moons on the pillow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mohana. I love the word "crescent." The pillows with the half moons were from my imagination ... )

      Delete
  9. Wonderful poetry. I could almost feel the breeze and hear the sound of the wind chimes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ida. Glad everyone enjoyed something different in my poem, and that you "heard" the wind chimes and "felt" the breeze. :)

      Delete
  10. what an exquisite verb is "cherish" ~ and you expanded upon it beautifully! love the photographs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the sharing of cherished moments is one of my favorite things about the online poetry community. Love this poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Yes, it's nice to share poetry :)

      Delete
  12. Every detail carefully and lovingly observed. Exactly what a porch should BE! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the porch of my dreams ... a figment of my imagination :) Thanks for the return visit, Margaret :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!