Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Simply Grateful


pink roses in a crystal vase,
a welcome centerpiece;

pure spring water quenching thirst,
reflections of green leaves;

even the thorns soften,
no longer feeling the sting;

petals slowly open towards the sky,
as if they could speak;

a quiet prayer asking for nothing in particular,
but only to whisper thank you;

simply grateful

~ ~ ~

I gathered a small bouquet of miniature pink roses from the garden, so tiny that they fit in a votive! They look so pretty as a little centerpiece on my glass dining room table. I love the reflections of the trees on the glass, and the roses look so happy on this sunny day. The votive is special as it is what we gave away as party favors at our wedding, filled with tea candles and white Jordan almonds. I kept a few of the votives, and this came in handy to hold the little bouquet of roses. After I took the photograph, it inspired me to write a poem about being grateful for simple things. Today's prompt at Poetry Jam is "water," and I'm contributing my poem to this lovely site at http://poetryjaam.blogspot.com/. Enjoy the photo and poem and delight in simple things!


36 comments:

  1. The little things are the basis for happiness, when one has the gift of seeing them. I love this post, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry. It is truly a gift :)

      Delete
  2. Sweet roses and a sweet verse. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful poem with an important message. I have pots with flowers on my porch. If I neglect them for a few days, they droop. But then when I water them they perk up within a short time and are, once again, happy...again reminding me that the simplest things can refresh. Have to carry that message out into life, trying to 'refresh' people with the simple things: a word, a smile, etc. I enjoyed your 'jam.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, glad the message in my poem was an inspiration to you :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely photo and lovely poem my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keith. Hope all is lovely in your world :)

      Delete
  5. The picture is lovely. Colours are beautiful. Roses are my most fav flower. Your prose is lovely. We so often ask for things but, most often we forget to say thank you for the things we are already blessed with.
    A very nice read, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it's important to remember to say thank you :)

      Delete
  6. What a perfect photograph for this wonderful verse, Loredana.
    Wishing you a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great how simple things inspire us...lovely roses and a befitting poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the simple things in life that so many overlook. A beautiful photo and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are amazingly small and wonderful roses. And I love stopping to be grateful for the small things. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy, yes they are so tiny and pretty :)

      Delete
  10. At first glance, the crystal holding your roses looks huge. Perspective is everything, isn't it? I love your simple outlook and your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! It's only a little votive small enough to hold a tea candle. I like it with flowers in it to decorate the dining room table :)

      Delete
  11. Belle queste Rose,ciao,buona giornata!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The simple things are the beautiful things ~ Lovely thoughts ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Che belle questa rose che decorano la casa...ciao Cri : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Cristina, si' mi piacciono i fiori nella stanza di pranzo :)

      Delete
  14. smiles...you capture well the simple beauty of the flower...grateful for the water as we are for how it brightens our day...smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very soothing poem, love the ending, simply grateful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara, glad you found the poem soothing :)

      Delete
  16. Such a sweet poem, love the petals opening toward the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loredana!! I love this post, poem and image the perfect pairing!! Such a joyful living! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful poem to go with a beautiful photo. What a great idea to have miniature roses in a votive. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! Votives do look very pretty around the dinner table :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!