Friday, June 1, 2012

Green Spaces


Today, I'd like to take you for a tour of beautiful green spaces at Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture in Pocantico Hills, New York. This luscious countryside is only 25 miles from Manhattan, and I went for a lovely walk on a sunny day this week. The theme at Friday My Town Shoot Out! at http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/ today is the Rule of Space. This is a photography rule that suggests a more pleasing image can be created by giving the subject space in which to move. I experimented taking photographs of green space here by following as well as breaking the rule of space (and I couldn't resist the pun!). The first photo is the main building with a stone facade (hence the name, Stone Barns), which has been turned into an elegant restaurant, Blue Hill at Stone Barns, located here and also in Manhattan. I placed the building to the left of the photograph and on a diagonal, so that more green space would be visible on the right, and there would be a sense of movement walking towards the building.


The second photograph is an image of the entrance to the court yard, which has a lovely red brick pavement. The entrance "tunnel" is open ended and made of stones and wood. I took the picture from this angle, so that the opening frames the countryside and creates space and a sense of perspective. Not to mention, there is a great coffee shop here!


The third photo is a panoramic view of the countryside, which I took as I was walking up the hill. There is a gorgeous stone wall all along this path. I took the photo slightly from an above angle, placing the tree on the left so that a larger view of the green space is visible.



As I was walking up the hill, I ran into three lovely ladies who were horseback riding. I took the photo as they were riding along the path, about to make a turn, but I centered them within the space. Because they are looking at the scenery in front of them, the viewer of the photograph is naturally drawn into looking that way, too. So space is created in front of the subject and you can enjoy the lovely green space over the hills.


Here, I broke the rule of space as I wanted to create a sense of movement away from the scenery as the lady is riding further into the woods. It's also a close-up shot with a blurry effect so that the subject and horse blend into the natural surroundings. How lovely, riding off into the sunrise! Thank you for reading and have a great weekend!


34 comments:

  1. Incredibly beautiful place! You did some wonderful things with your photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. I had fun practicing composition :)

      Delete
  2. lovely space and photos. I just imagine that someone made a rule for how you used your camera also, some people just love rules. have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginger. I think it's OK to break the rules just to see what happens :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place! Your photos are very pretty and I like how you have described how you positioned everything within the frame. I really like the photo of the stone barn/restaurant, and the 3 ladies on their horses. The rolling hills are so pretty and everything is so green! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I really enjoyed walking here and going uphill was good exercise! :)

      Delete
  4. Ciao,Loredana!Un bel luogo per fare ottimi esercizi di composizione!
    Guardare questi bei posti mette gioia: buon fine settimana.
    L'estate è meravigliosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Rita, si' c'e' molto da fare e vedere qui in estate con tanti posti rilassanti. Buona Domenica :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos of a wonderful place. No doubt you've managed to capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leovi. A peaceful sunny place :)

      Delete
  6. I love the three horses next to each other. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. Luckily they stopped for a few minutes to admire the view, so I was able to capture them :)

      Delete
  7. So beautiful!!! Love the green colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nina. I enjoyed your countryside shots from the UK, too :)

      Delete
  8. I love what you did with this theme. Great job.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your countryside is just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jama. This is only like 15 minutes from my hometown! :)

      Delete
  10. Anche per Te molto verde :)

    Ciao e buon Week End

    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Stefano, si' anche da te l'estate incomincia ad essere rilassante con spazi verdi :)

      Delete
  11. One would never think this was so close to NYC.
    What a gorgeous place to be, and your photographs of it are wonderful Loredana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! What's nice is that it's open to the public and you can walk around leisurely :)

      Delete
  12. I like wondering what the rider sees around the corner in that last photo. Thanks for linking!

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bobbie. The view from uphill is really nice :)

      Delete
  13. Your photos show how beautiful your contryside is. I really like the horseback riders. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JarieLyn. The horseback riders seem to be the favorites :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful pics. I love the 3 horses - such a sense of peace in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzy. This makes me feel like taking up horseback riding myself! :)

      Delete
  15. I really enjoyed your photos and narrative. My favourite is the horse and rider moving out of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pauline. That's my favorite, too! :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Loredana! I love your rolling countryside and how you've used the Rule of Space. I like the first shot and the three horse shot!

    The old farm buildings are really picturesque!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby! The restaurant inside the old farm buildings is very elegant. They even have weddings here!

      Delete
  17. Love the horses riding off into the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. That seems to have gotten the most votes :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!