Thursday, June 7, 2012

At the Movies



Do you remember the movie, Pleasantville, where everything was in black and white in the beginning and then it gradually started turning to color? I loved that movie and its metaphor of creativity and bringing things to life. As most of you know who follow and read my blog regularly, I live in a small town in the suburbs of New York, called Pleasantville! Please see my post of my colorful hometown, Pleasantville, at http://loredana-donovan.blogspot.com/2012/04/small-town-usa.html.

The topic this week at the creative site, Friday My Town Shoot Out! at http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/ is "interiors," so I thought I would take you for a small tour of the Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasantville. I started out by taking black and white photos and then gradually adding color. These are straight out of my camera without any digital editing. The first black and white photo is the front entrance to the movie theater. This really cool theater only shows independent, cultural films and lots of foreign movies, too, with subtitles. Very entertaining and artistic!


This photo is also in black and white and shows the interior staircase that takes you up to the second floor. I shot this from the first floor, looking up, as it is an open space. I like the geometric lines, angles, and the circles in the railing. A modern design. I'm also linking this photo to another creative site, Pixel Dust Photo Art at http://www.pixeldustphotoart.com/, where the theme this week is "black and white."


Here, the photo is still monochromatic, but I added blue. This is the interior entrance to the second theater. The cool blue poster matches the blue door, and I took this from an angle to create perspective and movement, as you're walking towards the door.


Here, it goes from blue to red for the interior entrance to the third theater. I love the bright red door and the modern carpet design. So, what's behind door #3? 


Lastly, all primary colors, blue, red, yellow, green and a touch of gold in this whimsical sculpture inside the theater. It's perpetually in motion with a little ball traveling through all the different gadgets. Something fun to watch while you wait on line to get your ticket! So how about a movie this weekend? Invite a date and have fun!

42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jama. This was a fun post :)

      Delete
  2. I like how you took the first photos in black and white and then added the photos with the bright pops of color. I like the perspective of the angles, too. Great way to tie in the movie to the post. I like the railing in the 2nd photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. Yes, I was trying to tie in the movie. So funny that my hometown's name is also Pleasantville!

      Delete
  3. Wow, how very creative of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. Your prompt was a good challenge this week :)

      Delete
  4. Love the stark, angular, modern elements captured in your photography here, Loredana. Looks like a great community theatre.
    Thank you for sharing with Photo Art Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Bonnie. The black and white challenge was fun :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a fun place. Thanks for linking.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. very similar sculpture is in a kids hospital I was taking my newborn for her checkups :) (it's in CA, though). Love your first shot especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit. Yes, that wall sculpture is very child-like and fun :)

      Delete
  7. Love the blue and red doors -- simple, abstract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. I was going for the simple and abstract. Glad you noticed :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful effect - I love all the geometric shapes captured in your black and white images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherri. I do like a modern design with lots of geometric shapes :)

      Delete
  9. It looks like a beautiful building!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you did a great job with this theme. Very good photography. I am trying to get better at photography and this was a great tutorial for me. Thanks. BTW thanks for your visit.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy. Glad the tutorial was helpful to you :)

      Delete
  11. I do remember this movie Loredana, and I loved it too. I actually saw it twice.
    Love your images here, especially the second one.
    Wonderful graphic quality.
    Sending you wishes for a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. Yes, it was a great movie!

      Delete
  12. Love your creative approach! And I think you carried it off beautifully by keeping your colour photos to the stark and simple. Love the doors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pauline. I do love the doors, too. Nice pop of color :)

      Delete
  13. I love moving sculptures. I'm sure it's fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful tour through your theater. It was fun seeing the progression from B/W to the color shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ida. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindy. Yes, a truly unique experience :)

      Delete
  16. What a super piece of wall art and some very effective effects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the clean lines of these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such wonderful geometry and line usage. Great processing; thanks for sharing and visiting me, too. Hugs from Alaska. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! These photos are straight out of my camera. I didn't do any post processing or digital editing. I just did some cropping :) Hugs to you, too :)

      Delete
  19. You have a great eye for detail, cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!