Friday, May 18, 2012

Whimsical Garden


Today, my friends, I'm taking you to a whimsical garden in Chappaqua, New York. The name "Chappaqua" literally means the "rustling land," or a place where nothing is heard but the rustling of the wind in the leaves. Isn't it a wonderful description for a town? This enchanting garden is called "Pocket Park," and I thought it would be perfect for the photographic challenge with the theme of "fences" at two lovely sites (http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/ and http://lifeaccordingtojanandjer.blogspot.com/). This garden has many different fences surrounding it and encircling flowers and shrubs. What I like about this garden is that it has some unique features and a soft zen-like ambiance. The first photo is very inviting with a bench where you can sit and admire the flowers or perhaps listen to the birds landing in the little bird house to the left near the fence. Why don't you sit down and stay for a while and I'll show you around the garden.


This is a trellis with pink peonies and climbing pink roses. I love how the soothing green color of the trellis fits within the colors of the garden. Does a trellis count as a fence?


This is a close up shot of the pink roses on the trellis. Notice how I used the "rule of thirds" to divide the photograph into three sections with a focus on the middle blooms.


This is a bird bath in the midst of evergreen shrubs and more climbing plants on another fence. I like how the fence forms a grid with the siding in the background. More soft greens. The birds must love it here! And so do I! Don't you?


Here are some interesting looking flowers. I have no idea what they are, but to me, they look like giant lollipops, maybe blueberry flavor? I'm sure my very informative blogger friend who blogs at Floral Friday Fotos at http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/ will know what they are! Sharing my photo with this lovely site as well.


To the right of the lollipop flowers, there is an interesting blue structure, which fits nicely within the garden. I don't know why but this reminds me of the Eiffel Tower (sort of).


Here is another fence, which I shot from above to get a view of the flowers through it.


Along the same fence, there are more colorful shrubs and gorgeous pink flowers. I just had to show you this whimsical garden light, which looks like a mushroom!



And lastly, this is sort of a gate behind the shrubs. It's next to a mural made of tiles with some adorable images that look like children's drawings. Enjoy the garden tour in beautiful, Chappaqua, New York, and have a wonderful weekend!

46 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden
    I especially like those purple 'lollipops' - which are Allium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lesley for the visit and the name of the flower! :)

      Delete
  2. this is such a beautiful garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful - and whimsy is my favorite design style! BTW, out here in the West, 'rustling' has a whole different meaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wonder what "rustling" means in the West? :)

      Delete
  4. I love the picture of the interesting blue structure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's quite lovely and unique, thanks!

      Delete
  5. This really is magical...thanks for the beautiful tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I enjoyed participating in your meme :)

      Delete
  6. It's good to visit you on a Friday and have another tour in your neck of the woods. What a beautiful garden, I can imagine myself sitting near the birdbath and watching the birds whilst I have a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MizzKay. Great idea--a cup of tea and bird watching :)

      Delete
  7. wonderful space. would love to meander through - it must be beautiful all year round. as far as I am concerned a trelis - especially if it seperates two spaces - is a fence
    the flower looks a lot like the flowr on chives. but maybe bigger.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allium_schoenoprasum_in_NH_01.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginger. So I get extra points for the trellis? Do I win anything? :) Thanks for the visit and wikipedia link, very informative :)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely garden! So much to see, and yet it all seems so peaceful! The lollipop things are alliums - they are a member of the onion family, but have been bred as decorative garden features. They come up after the tulips are done, a welcome place for something spectacular.
    My mother has one of those tower things, with a mandevilla growing around it. Another version of a trellis.
    I like the shot after that one, with the unique angle on the fence. Never thought of that angle before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! Interesting how the "lollipop" flowers are in onion family, and the tower is like another trellis. Thanks for sharing this information :) I do like shooting photos from different, unusual angles :)

      Delete
  9. The "lollipops" are an ornamental cultivar of Allium (onion), this looking much like the "Gladiator" variety.

    Lovely shots of this wonderful garden and its beautiful plants!

    Thank you for your continuing support of Floral Friday Fotos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nix! It seems everyone knew that those flowers are Allium, except me! :) My readers are so informative, thanks!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for your garden tour.
    Love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the delicate fence in the second and third to last shots. Almost too pretty to be a real one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pauline. Yes, it's a pretty fence going all around the garden. If you look closely, it's also in the very first shot :)

      Delete
  12. What a pretty garden! You are way ahead of us here in the northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a very pretty garden! I really like the green trellis with the pink roses! It looks like a lovely place to stop and smell the roses! Thanks for sharing this pretty place. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Yes, roses are such a classic flower :)

      Delete
  14. Whenever I visit a big city I soon find myself tired of streetlife and drawn towards the parks... This seems like a lovely garden to relax in! My favourite here must be the next to last photo with that little thingy that looks like a mushroom. And you've managed to get it just in one of those rule-of-thirds spots too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. Oh, I didn't realize the mushroom light was in the third spot. Thanks for noticing! :)

      Delete
  15. Looks so peaceful here. I think I'd sit in that first picture, resting my back against the fence, barefeet in the earth, just enjoying the quietude of the birds and flowers growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl :) Sounds like a good idea!

      Delete
  16. Very beautiful. I really like the first shot with the bench. It is so inviting and does entice me to want to sit a spell. It's a lovely park and the garden is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cara Loredana,devo fare più attenzione agli aggiornamenti...Questa del giardino me l'ero perso.Bellissima atmosfera,tutto estremamente scelto per essere semplice e raffinato insieme.Adorabile stile nè troppo nè poco!oltre che per le foto,sarebbe anche bellissimo sedersi e dipingere....Ciao,Loredana e grazie della passeggiata con te!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Rita. Certamente qui puoi fare un bel dipinto delle rose :) Buona domenica!

      Delete
  18. This looks like a lovely place to visit!
    I could see see myself sitting on that bench. I think Zen-like describes it perfectly.
    You captured the essence of the garden beautifully!

    Thanks for your visit this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the visit back, Carletta :)

      Delete
  19. When I look at the lollypop flowers all lined up, I imagine that they are a fence with decorative tops...I don't know if you meant that on purpose but it sure looks fence-like to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! The lollipop flowers do look like an (organic) fence! :) Thanks for noticing! I didn't do it on purpose, but I just liked them all lined up :)

      Delete
  20. What a beautiful garden! I love how well-tended it is. Great fences!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful place to be with a camera, Loredana!
    I love the trellis with those beautiful pink roses.
    Thank you for taking us along with you.
    Have a wonderful day ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!