Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Day at the Farm


Today, I'm taking you for a tour of a beautiful farm in Yorktown Heights, New York. My husband and I spent a nice day visiting the farm where a local artist was showcasing his work. This is called Hilltop Hanover Farm and the first photo is a panoramic view. The grass couldn't be greener and the sky couldn't be bluer on this sunny day!


Here is a view from a different angle with a white picket fence that goes all around this area of the farm. I'm contributing my photograph to Friday Fences at the lovely site (http://lifeaccordingtojanandjer.blogspot.com/), where bloggers share pictures of beautiful fences every Friday. I took the picture this way so the fence forms a leading line.


It wouldn't be a farm without chickens! Here is a picture I took of a couple of happy chickens near their red chicken coop. This is a fenced area as well to keep the chickens in. I'm contributing this photograph to Rural Thursdays at another lovely site (http://www.aruraljournal.com/), where bloggers share photos of beautiful rural areas.


Here is a shot from another angle that shows a great piece of machinery on the grass. Can anyone tell me what this machine is for? In case you're wondering, that is my husband's hand on the right pointing to the bolts and rust on it. A guy's fascination with machines--it was his idea for me to take this photograph!


Here is a view of the machine from another angle next to a bed of flowers. You can see the horizon on this picture as in the first picture. Anyone know what this machine is yet?


Here is a close-up shot of the pretty yellow/orange flowers. I like the way they are casting a shadow on the supporting stone wall. Does anyone know what these flowers are? I'm sharing this photograph with Floral Friday Fotos at the informative and pretty site (http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/), where flowers are showcased on Fridays.


As I mentioned in the beginning of the post, there was a local artist at the farm showcasing his beautiful work of hand-made pottery. This is a display of the different types of pottery that he makes and paints by hand. They are all safe for holding liquids or food. The artist's name of his pottery art is Hugick Pottery from Peekskill, New York. We fell in love with a ceramic bowl which doubles as a colander for rinsing out strawberries or cherries. It's the white and blue bowl on the bottom row to the right.


Here is the beautiful bowl on our dining room table complete with freshly rinsed cherries! I'm contributing my photograph to Friday My Town Shoot Out!!, a very interesting and fun site (http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/). This week's topic is "made by hand." Enjoy my photos of this beautiful New York farm and have a cherry or two!

60 comments:

  1. Great post! And you found so many great things at the farm! I think my favorite photo is of all the beautiful pottery. But, the cherry photo is really striking as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby. Yes, we had a really nice time at the farm :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots of a rural lifestyle!
    A farm with a fantastic view.
    The pottery is gorgeous - I especially like the blue pieces!

    I think the machine is an old disking machine for turning the soil and I'm pretty sure the flower is lantana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carletta, for the visit and letting me know about the disking machine and lantana! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for making a great tour to the pottery place. I love the beautiful bowl with fresh cherries. Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie. Yes, the cherries are delicious!

      Delete
  4. I think that piece of machinery is a disc, but who cares once you see that pottery. It's breathtaking, and I like it when the potter (pottist?) cares enough to make sure it's food-grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charade. Yes, the pottery is all food safe :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice pictures and country side!!
    Love the pottery too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those vases are so lovely, did you buy any? And that bowl of cherries, I want them! I just love cherries and they are quiet expensive here in Singapore, as the cherries are imported from USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jama! I bought the bowl colander for the cherries. So pretty and the cherries are very good! :)

      Delete
  7. That is a beautiful farm to spend the day. I love the pottery, you picked out a very pretty bowl/colander. Those orange flowers are very pretty and the cherries look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Carlette. The implement is what we call a set of harrows, for breaking up and turning the soil. And the flower does look like lantana except here it grows into a more shrub/hedge like plant. Really like the shot of all the pretty pottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the visit, Pauline. Glad I found out what the machine is and the name of the flowers, thanks! Interesting and pretty!

      Delete
  9. I love handmade pottery. Nice one for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cara Loredana:che bella giornata!molto particolari i vasi!Le ciliegie nella ciotola di ceramica sono uno scatto bellissimo.Io ho faticato a trovarle così chiare!Mi sono fatta vendere le uniche chiare(forse un pò acerbe)che stavano sopra una cassetta di altre tutte scure(sicuramente più buone).Ho dovuto spiegare perchè volevo proprio quelle ed alla fine si sono arresi a vendermele perchè dovevo dipingerle e non mangiarle!Buon fine settimana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Rita. Anche qui le ciliegie piu' chiare sono difficile a trovare. Sono dovuta andare ad un'altro mercato con mio marito per comprare queste. Sono buonissime ed adesso quasi mangiate tutte! Buona Domenica :)

      Delete
  11. beautiful place and what a great piece of pottery you came home with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya. Love my bowl of cherries! :)

      Delete
  12. lovelt bowl that you bought and lucky girl to have cherries to put in it. very nice walk around the farm

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to do our Farmer's Market but it opens early and closes early and I missed it. Great post.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy. Our farmer's market in my hometown Pleasantville starts today. We're about to head over now! :)

      Delete
  14. I LOVE the handmade pottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. The pottery was a great find indeed :)

      Delete
  15. Another great trip with you, the bowls look fantastic, how could you come away with only one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MizzKay. Luckily, the artist is local so we could go back to his shop and buy more! :)

      Delete
  16. Interesting post. The pottery looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! Farm scenery is always great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice series of pics...welcome to FF...hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I enjoyed participating in your meme :)

      Delete
  19. Great photos, and I really like your handmade bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving your bowl/colander! What a lovely farm.


    Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful place to visit, and it looks like you sure had a beautiful day for it!
    The pottery is just beautiful, and I love the way it is displayed.
    You have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. Yes, it was a perfect sunny day! Have a nice weekend, too :)

      Delete
  22. I love farms and the one you showcase is wonderful. I love the picture with the machinery and your husband's hand in it, the scenery is gorgeous. The bowl you bought at the farm is very pretty and those cherrie look divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JarieLyn. It was a fun day :)

      Delete
  23. What a wonderful farm! Love the fence, and the chicken coop! The flowers are gorgeous! Everything is just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie :) The red chicken coop was really cute :)

      Delete
  24. Great pottery shot...I like the way you link your photography to several different groups...I don't know how you keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark. I do a lot of reading and writing on my train commute or late at night. I like linking to different sites on topic. It's a creative challenge!

      Delete
  25. I'd love to have a bowl like that - strawberry season coming up... Actually I think I'd fall in love with several pottery items on those shelves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. I may go back to the shop to buy one of those blue vases :)

      Delete
  26. I love these shots it would be a great place to visit. I myself have a fascination with photographing old rusty machinerey. B

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Loredana. The day was so beautiful and I am so happy you caught some of the farms' views. You must come back again. The u-pick vegetable crops will be open starting June 8th. I liked the Mugs . They were about 12-16 ozs so you do not have to run out of your favorite drink so fast. I intend to go to the Peekskill studio in July to see his new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful series of shots, Loredana.

    Thank you for your continuing participation in Floral Friday Fotos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!