Saturday, April 21, 2012

Urban & Natural


What I love about New York City is the harmony between the urban and the natural. The pace of life can be really fast in the city, but the natural elements bring some peace and serenity in the mix. Let's say you're stuck in traffic in that red truck, isn't it nice to be able to admire some equally red tulips on the way? I shot this photo on my daily walk on Park Avenue to Grand Central to catch my train home after work. You can see the famous Grand Central clock in the background, framed by the tree branches.


Another natural element is water, and fountains really add a special touch and provide a place to sit and relax for a while. Reflections in the water and windows of the buildings are soothing. Also, containers with flowers bring in some color, and trees add perspective and soften up the lines of the skyscrapers. It makes for a lovely walk!


How about a bit of gold in a blue sky and white blossoms on a tree juxtaposed to these majestic buildings? It looks like the tree is reaching out to the skyscrapers, wanting to make friends. I took this shot sitting comfortably at Madison Square Park on my lunch break. I looked up and this is what I saw: blooms, steel, glass, and gold like sunshine.


On a Sunday morning, it's great to get a little exercise by going for a jog in the park. How delightful as you pass by a field of daffodils. The building in the background has an interesting architecture with arched doors and windows, facing the trees. 


And why not have a nice Sunday brunch outdoors sitting on a comfortable couch with your friends or loved ones? The urban and the natural blend in so nicely in the city, I think I'll sit down and stay a while. Enjoy my photos and let some serenity in throughout your day! This is my favorite of the 5 photos. What's your favorite?

I'm linking my photos to Walk in New York at http://walkinnewyork.blogspot.com/ for some urban appeal; and to A Rural Journal at   http://www.aruraljournal.com/ for a view of the countryside. Please visit these sites to enjoy the best of both worlds!
  

40 comments:

  1. Tout a fait d'accord avec toi, j'adore tous ces petits parcs, ces arbres et fleurs que l'on trouve partout dans Manhattan, c'est un quartier tres vert. Et puis maintenant avec les rues pietonnes, c'est tres agreable.

    Merci d'avoir participer au challenge "Walk In The Street Photography"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The city is so lovely...and so are your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dina. I enjoyed your photos, too :)

      Delete
  3. Has New York always had these touches of nature sprinkled througout the city or is this a more recent addition. I just love it so much. I find it beautifully ironic that, in a place that is synonomous with urbanization, you can still finds nature's beauty throughout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith! Yes, they've always done a beautiful jo of "landscaping" the city, and in the last few years, there have been many renovations. I actually have a NYC book of, then and now" which shows some of the evolution. The charm of the city I think is the mix of old and new, urban and natural :)

      Delete
  4. Ciao,Loredana!che bello così in totale relax trovarmi a spasso per New York con te!E poter spaziare dalla città all'entroterra con i siti che ci segnali...Blogging is wonderful!Buona Domenica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao, Rita! Mi fa piacere che ti sei rilassata a fare una passeggiata con me a NY :) Grazie e buona domenica!

      Delete
  5. I came by from Haiku Heights, to see if you've manged to sort out your removal of word verification yet, so I had to post a comment to try?! If not, I'll send explanation of 'how to' later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How thoughtful and sweet of you, thanks!

      Delete
  6. Aha! I see you sorted it. Well done! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it worked. Like magic! Serendipity :) Thanks for letting me know! Xx

      Delete
  7. No need to convince me that NYC is special though you do a great job of pointing out some of the little things that make it that way. Of the five photos, my favorite is the one of the people in the 'wayside' park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! Yes, those runners were having a nice jog through the park :) I do like capturing "the little things." Thanks for noticing :)

      Delete
  8. It's wonderful to see blossoms in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting me! I enjoy city shots as much as rural so I'm following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy, for visiting and following my blog! Welcome!

      Delete
  10. I imagine there's always something catching your eye -- love the combination of rural and urban. So interesting!

    Thank you for sharing at Your Sunday Best this week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! Love your site and Sunday meme! :)

      Delete
  11. I like this photo and the description of New York. I never was at New York but il like this cities so famous in the world. I like the Central Park that we every see in the films. Good Sunday, hi Cri : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for visiting my blog. I love NY, have been there twice and I love looking at your photo's of it. My favorite is the first one with the red tulips.
    I am going to follow you.
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita, for your nice comment, and for following! Welcome! :)

      Delete
  13. C'est toujours un plaisir de se retrouver à New York à nouveau. Merci pour les photos!

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup, Geoff! I will be posting more photos of the city soon with summer approaching and lots going on outdoors :)

      Delete
  14. Ciao Loredana, si vivo a Roma. Adoro NY e quando posso parto e vado... mi piace il tuo repartage, esprime benissimo la città e i cittadini, non ho una foto preferita perché ogni immagine è parte integrante delle altre perciò tutte!
    Buona serata, ciao, minu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Minu, sono contenta che ti piacciono tutte le foto! Buona serata :)

      Delete
  15. Ciao Loredana, rispondo sotto queste splendide foto di NY (città che mi piace davvero tanto)alla domanda che hai lasciato sul mio blog... Io sono di Milano e ad HK ci sono stato solo per una breve vacanza... altra città che mi piace molto!

    Buona Settimana

    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao, Stefano, grazie tantissimo e buona settimana anche a te'!

      Delete
  16. I didn't realize how much I miss NYC until I saw your photographs. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tito, for visiting from the Philippines :)

      Delete
  17. even in the big city (where i never was) you could find so beautiful natur :) great shots! greeting from stuttgart ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina, for visiting from Germany! :)

      Delete
  18. All of those are again nice photoghraphs of NY but my favourite would be the fist one with red tulips :) Such beautiful and colourful in the mids of the hectic city ! Spring is advancing in Finland also and on sunday I saw the first blooming flowers. When the grass gets greener and spring advances still a little I'll do a photo collection of spring in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to see your spring photos from Finland! Have a good week :)

      Delete
  19. That's why they say I Love NY! A very useful time to be outdooors even for a short break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful shots. It's always great to be able to find little natural pockets in the middle of a bustling metropolis.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Nix. Yes, nature does add color and warmth to the city :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!