Friday, April 27, 2012

Small Town USA


Welcome to my hometown, Pleasantville! It's a charming small town, a suburb of New York, in Westchester County. It's only 31 miles from New York City and has about 7,000 residents. It was settled in 1695 and is a very family-friendly town with wonderful people. We love it here! This is our town clock on Washington Avenue in the village, where there are many nice little shops and great restaurants. I'm contributing my photo to Friday My Town Shoot Out!! at http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/,  where today's theme is "town clocks." And there it is, the Pleasantville clock! I think it rocks!


This is my favorite coffee shop on Wheeler Avenue, which is right across from the train station. I usually get a nice cup of hot chocolate in the morning before I walk across the street to catch my train to New York City. Young people especially love this spot and like to hang out in this area of the village. As you can see in the window reflection, a young girl is reading and listening to music, and two kids on the street are ready to go skateboarding! I also love the flowers in the coffee cans on the little tables outside of the coffee shop. I'm contributing my street scene to Walk in New York at http://walkinnewyork.blogspot.com/.



This is our Church on Bedford Avenue. I like this close-up shot which shows the brick facade, stained glass windows and pointed roof with crosses that look like stars in the sky. A very quaint Church in a wonderful community of lovely people!


This is my neighborhood! All the houses in Pleasantville look very pretty and are well maintained with wonderful landscaping. It's very tranquil and picturesque and we love walking around town. In this picture, there are beautiful white and red azalea shrubs right on the street where we live. I'm contributing my photo to Floral Friday Fotos at http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/, where each week gorgeous flowers are showcased.


This is the street right around the corner from where we live. I like the way the sunlight is shining through the tree, the path, and the little black iron fence. A picture of serenity!


And this is a close-up shot of the red azaleas on our street. I took this shot at around 5:00 PM today, and the sun was hitting the azaleas just right that they look like they are glowing. This photo is straight out of the camera, and I like the way it looks kind of dreamy and painterly, a little artistic, don't you think? I'm contributing this photo to Pixel Dust Photo Art at http://www.pixeldustphotoart.com/.

Lastly, I'm so happy to share that I've made lots of new, wonderful friends who are reading and following my blog, both in the USA and internationally. Welcome all! For the convenience of my readers in other countries, I have added a "Google Translate" gadget on the sidebar of my blog. Enjoy my photos and have a wonderful weekend, as pleasant as my ville! Greetings from Pleasantville!

64 comments:

  1. Hey! I like the clock and I like the coffee shop particularly the angle and reflections in the window. Thanks for contributing to Friday Shootout. I hope to see more of your stuff. Pleasantville sounds similar to the town I live in - Mount Pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comment and for following! I love the Friday Shootout site and I will check out your blog :) Yes, I will definitely take and share more pictures of Pleasantville!

      Delete
  2. Pleasantville looks like such a perfect town!! Seems like the type of place that one would be lucky to call home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! Yes, we love it here! See, another reason for you to visit the NY area :)

      Delete
  3. I liked the name of your small town.
    Is a name quite suggestive and quiet enough for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laerte. Yes, Pleasantville is indeed the perfect name :)

      Delete
  4. 'Pleasantville' is very fitting name for your suburb for it's looking like very pleasant place to be :) Love the picture with the tree, the path and the black iron fence, artistic and pretty shot! Also azelias looks pretty I like the colour of them and the sunlight glowing on the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had fun taking these photos :) Yes, the photo with the tree is my favorite, too. Very pleasant here!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for joins us this week. I like your little town tour! (FMTSO)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! I love walking around my little town :) makes for a nice tour indeed :)

      Delete
  6. Wow you sound like you are on the city's tourist committee. I want to visit. I love towns like this that seem to have missed the gold rush to change and have managed to stop time.... yes love your town's clock also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginger! I just get so excited talking about my hometown I do sound like I'm on the tourist committe! :) Yes, Pleasantville is a lovely town, standing still and peacefully in time, but with lots of energy, too! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Loredana, thanks for visiting my Picture Book blog. I got very excited when I saw that you blog from Pleasantville NY, because it's a town that has come up in my family history research. If you like, check out this post in the special blog I keep for that purpose. Maybe you could even tell me where in Pleasantville that photo was taken. Anyway I have signed up to follow your blog - who knows what other pieces of information I might pick up ;)
    Greetings from Monica a.k.a DawnTreader in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting from Sweden and for following :) I did take a look at your photo from Pleasantville and made a comment. Very interesting!

      Delete
  8. Bello l'orologio,molto particolare,bella anche la tua cittadina,a misura d'uomo,mi piacciono questi posti!
    Un abbraccio e buona domenica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Franz! Buona Domenica anche a te'! :)

      Delete
  9. lovely pics! i would like to sit at the second and have some coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the first one - perfect for FMTSO's Clocks and Time. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Saying hello from Wellington, New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzy, for visiting from New Zealand! :)

      Delete
  11. Une petite ville americaine comme on les imagine en Europe. Une promenade un jour de beau temps
    Merci d'avoir participer au challenge "Walk In The Street Photography"

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a delightful place to live, Loredana! And as a bonus it's very close to NYC!

    Thank you for participating in Floral Friday Fotos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nix! Yes, it's a great location being so close to NYC and the countryside as well :)

      Delete
  13. The town looks so picturesque. Looks like a lovely place to live! :-) Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very nice clock and your town is so lovely, I would love to visit such a place which is totally opposite from my urban island. It's too crowded here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cara Loredana,stai in un posto che MANTIENE ASSOLUTAMENTE LA PROMESSA CONTENUTA NEL NOME!Belle foto e bella la sensazione di portarci a passeggio con te!Anche me piace fare questi post che ho chiamato"Due passi a..."ed accompagnare idealmente,nelle terre pavesi dove vivo, gli amici blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going to show my ignorance and say I always thought Pleasantville was a fictional place. But it obviously isn't and what a beautiful place it is. Thanks for sharing it Loredana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MizzKay. Remember the movie called "Pleasantville"? That was pretty cool :)

      Delete
  17. How wonderful to be in such a quaint little town, and yet be so close to the city.
    Perfect combination for sure, and it does look just beautiful there Loredana.
    Thank you for taking us on a tour.
    Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like such a wonderful town. You did a great job of capturing it's hometown charm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a wonderful town to live in. Your photos have done it proud. Thanks for stopping by my blog on Sunset Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely neighborhood you live in and aren't those Azalea's stunning. My mom has a red bush like this in her front yard, though not yet quite as large but still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ida, for your nice comment, and for following :)

      Delete
  21. You do live in a very pretty little town (although by my standards that is quite a large town). Hope we see more of your town in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pauline. Yes, I'll share more pictures of Pleasantville soon :)

      Delete
  22. Oh, Loredana. Looks very charming and pretty town too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Merike, for visiting from Finland, and following :)

      Delete
  23. That clock does rock! Wonderful images of such a pretty town, Loredana. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A delicious place beautiful pictures, delightful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. When you came to my blog, you said the clock in Loveland looks like the clock in Pleasantville. I think it's the same clock! Maybe they got them from the same place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby, yes our town clocks are twins! How interesting :) I think what makes them unique is the different settings and surroundings in each town. Thanks for visiting back :)

      Delete
  26. What a beautiful little town you live in! and so close to the city for work...looks like you have the best of both worlds! Love the clock and the coffee shop and am amazed at the azaleas in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos. Thank you for the tour of your lovely town. Looks like it would e a friendly pla e to live

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for your stroll trough the very nice little town. Pleasantville is a good location to live. I know the far east
    very well, but I don't know Amerika. I wish you a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ernst, for visiting from Germany! :)

      Delete
  29. Your small town is very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, I've seen you post in the blogger discussion forum, and I think your blog is definitely one of the most creative and inspiring I've seen, and I love your pictures (very nice photography). This is why I'm nominating you for the Versatile Blog award. Please accept the nomination by following the instructions on my blog: http://femmenoblesseoblige.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much for nominating me. How sweet of you! :) Have a great day! :)

      Delete
    2. Goodness, Pleasantville lives up to its name. What a charming little place.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Jenny, for visiting from London :)

      Delete
  31. hello Loredana welcome to our group. I have learned so much from this meme it is unbelievable. I missed you a couple of weeks. Been having trouble with my photos. I am good now. I love the name of your town and it reminds me of my little town in Central Kentucky.
    Found you because Mark had highlighted your photo of the clock.
    I am a follower now.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy, for your nice comment and for following. I also enjoy the Friday My Town Shoot Out site and I'm learning a lot about places and photo techniques. Welcome to Pleasantville! :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!