Friday, March 30, 2012

Spring in the City


Spring has sprung in New York City! I took these pictures at Madison Square Park on Madison Avenue and 23rd Street this week. Beautiful yellow and red tulips are in bloom, and trees are starting to fill up with green leaves. There is a very popular lunch spot in the park by a burger stand called Shake Shack, which must have the most delicious burgers in New York, since the line in front of it is usually a mile long, as you can see in the photo. As I was taking the picture, a young woman in a long pleated skirt and red purse went by, and I like the way her shadow coordinates with the shadows of the trees and lamp. Her red purse even matches the tulips! Such harmony in the city.

I'm contributing my photos to three wonderful sites: Walk in New York at http://walkinnewyork.blogspot.com/  (weekly challenge, street scene); Pixel Dust Photo Art at http://www.pixeldustphotoart.com/ (prompt, path or road); and Floral Friday Fotos at http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/ (flowers, showcased weekly).

Lastly, I'm so excited to have just learned how to write haiku! Haiku is a short form of Japanese poetry, which must contain only 3 lines, with 5, 7, 5 syllables each. There is no title or punctuation. Something about nature must be mentioned in a haiku, but without any judgement or interpretation. It's up to the reader's imagination to find whatever meaning they see into it. I learned this on a fabulous poetic website, Metaphors and Smiles at http://wordrustling.wordpress.com/. So here is my first haiku, inspired by these photos. Enjoy the tulips, perhaps an imaginary NY burger, and the haiku!

barefoot in the park
yellow tulips beside fence
winding path ahead


38 comments:

  1. Lovely haiku!! Your posts always make me want to visit New York :) it looks like such a beautiful place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! It was my first haiku! They look simple but hard to write. I literally had the dictionary out, counting syllables to follow the 5-7-5 count! :) Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait the trees start to fill up with light-green leaves and the grass to get green but unfortunately here in Finland it happens not until in May :> ...But then I'll definitely go outside and take lovely spring photographs and maybe share in my blog :) Lovely photos of NY here again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do share photos of Finland, would love to see them. You take very pretty, artistic photos and you should link them to one of sharing sites :) Have a lovely day and thanks!

      Delete
  3. The tulips are quintessential spring. The street scene, if it didn't have the modern buildings in the background, looks like a 19th century painting of a street scene in Europe ... to me. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing with Photo Art Friday Loredana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I also thought the photo has a "vintage" look, partly because of the girl in that beautiful pleaded, long skirt :) Your comments mean a lot to me, I appreciate them :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rejen, for visiting all the way from Copenhagen!

      Delete
  5. The flowers are so pretty & colorful, I want them all in my yard! LoL! =)
    Happy Happy Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia! I'd love these, too, in my (future) yard :) They look so pretty in vases, too :)

      Delete
  6. wow, i love the tulips...they are a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Prem, for visiting from sunny California :)

      Delete
  7. Ahhh, so refreshing. The tulips were lovely and your street scene was very interesting. I like the lady with the pleated skirt, she just added to the charm of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect!! I love it Loredana, feels like a walk in the park, indeed and you did well with the form!

    One thing I just learned recently is that the syllabic count is not generally adhered to in English haiku. So this frees you up a little more to focus on the other points of the form like kigo, kireji etc.

    I'm so grateful that you gave me a shout out here and am honored to have been a helper in haiku! :)

    A beautiful first haiku, Loredana!

    Oh, yeah also, I don't know if you're on facebook but there is a page for haiku called NaHaiWriMo (National Haiku Writing Month), where there're daily haiku writing prompts year round; if you're interested!

    ~Smiles to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! I will check out the National Haiku Writing Month prompts on Facebook. I didn't know that English haiku is more flexible. I will look up kigo and kireji and try those out next time. And yes, I wanted to give you credit for the haiku instructions as they were so helpful on your website. Smiles! :-)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. I actually took the shot of the tulips with my Droid phone very casually as I walked by, not planning on posting it at first. Glad everyone likes it! :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely post, both photos and words!

    Thanks for your participation in Floral Friday Fotos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity to participate. Yours is a lovely site and informative about flowers as well! :)

      Delete
  11. Very nice photos.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely images! And thanks for the haiku link - I'm going to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you like haiku, too. I will be posting more haiku soon :)

      Delete
  13. New York au printemps c'est magnifique

    Merci d'avoir participer au challenge "Walk In The Street Photography"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Loredana, wow love the tulips! How lucky that you have such nice weather! And I am loving the concept of Haiku, I shall look into it, would be awesome to learn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, Nina, and thanks! Yes, definitely look into Haiku. It's a really awesome form of poetry. Hope all is well on your side of the world :)

      Delete
  15. TUlips and haiku....my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! These lovely comments are encouraging me to write more haiku :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog from all over the world and for your wonderful comments!